In Malaysia, a company registration number, also known as a business registration number, is a unique number issued by the Companies Commission of Malaysia (Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia or SSM) upon the successful registration of a new company.
It is used to identify the company and verify its legal existence. The registration number typically consists of numbers and may also include letters, indicating the state in which the company is registered.
Checking business registration number in Malaysia
Why company registration number in Malaysia is important?
Company registration in important due to these several reasons:
- Legal Identity: A company registration number is akin to a birth certificate for a person. It provides a company with a legal identity, allowing it to conduct business under the law.
- Trust and Credibility: A registered company is seen as more trustworthy and credible by customers, suppliers, and potential investors. It shows that the company is transparent and complies with all necessary regulations.
- Protection: Having a company registration number protects the business owners from personal liability for the company’s debts and obligations.
- Accessibility to Funding: Registered companies have better access to funding options such as business loans and investors, as financial institutions and investors generally prefer to deal with legally recognized entities.
- Contractual Abilities: A registered company can enter into contracts, purchase property, and sue or be sued in its own name.
- Continuity of Existence: A registered company has a continuous existence, independent of the lives of its members. This provides stability and long-term business prospects.
- Tax Benefits: Registered companies may benefit from certain tax advantages, depending on the local laws and regulations.
- Brand Protection: Registering a company also protects the brand or trade name from being used by other businesses.
How to check company registration number in Malaysia?
In order to check company registration number in Malaysia, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM), which is responsible for managing company registrations in the country. The website is https://www.ssm.com.my.
- Find the e-Search option on the website or click this link: https://www.ssm.com.my/Pages/e-Search.aspx. This is where you can search for information about registered companies in Malaysia.
- To use the e-Search, you do not need to register for an account and log in.
- Without even login, you can begin your search. You can search using the company name or the company registration number if you have it.
- After you’ve entered the company name or registration number, click ‘Search‘.
- The results will show you the company’s information, including its registration number, date of incorporation, registered address, and status of the company.
- Please note that there may be a fee to access this information.
- It’s important to verify the company’s registration number to avoid scams or illegal businesses.
Remember that the information you obtain should be used in accordance with the website’s terms and conditions.
How can I check my company profile in SSM?
Here’s how you can check your company profile in SSM:
- Visit the official website of SSM e-Info services: https://www.ssm-einfo.my/
- On the homepage, you will see various options. Click on the ‘Register‘ button if you haven’t already created an account.
- After registration, log in to your account.
- Once logged in, you can search for your company by typing your company name or registration number in the search bar.
- After you have entered the details, click on the ”’ button.
- You will be directed to a page where you can see the details of your company.
- You might need to pay a fee if you want more detailed information or a full report
- If you want to get more detailed information or a full report, you might need to pay a fee. Click on the ‘Purchase Information‘ button, make the payment and download the report.
Remember, the information displayed will only be as updated as the last filing made by the company with SSM.
How can I know my SSM number by company name?
You can also easily get your SSM number by referring to the official business registration certificate you received when you registered your business with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM).
If you’ve lost your certificate or SSM number, you might need to contact SSM directly for assistance.
What is the new format of registration number by SSM?
The new registration number format by SSM consists of 12 digit characters. It was implemented from 11 October 2019 onwards for all types of businesses including companies and Limited Liability Partnerships.
The registration number will be displayed in all corporate information supplied to customers by SSM.
Each business’s 12-digit registration number will be unique and serve as an identification code. This will aid in streamlining business operations and allow for better tracking of business entities.
The new format is a part of SSM’s efforts to ensure greater efficiency and transparency in business operations. The change is also expected to improve the services provided by SSM as it will facilitate quicker retrieval of business information.
It is important for businesses to incorporate this new registration number in all their official communications and documents.