Applying for an international driving license in Malaysia allows individuals to legally drive in foreign countries that recognize this license.
The process involves submitting the necessary documents and completing the application at the Road Transport Department (JPJ). Read on if you want to know whether this application can be done through JPJ online platform or not.
How to apply international driving license in Malaysia
How to apply international driving license in Malaysia?
To apply for an international driving license in Malaysia, you will need to follow these steps:
- Visit the Road Transport Department (JPJ) office: Go to the nearest JPJ office in your area.
- Fill out the application form: Request an application form for an international driving license. Fill out the form completely and accurately.
- Required documents: Prepare the following documents:
- Valid Malaysian driving license (at least 1 year old)
- Original and photocopy of your identification card (IC)/passport
- Two recent passport-sized photographs (white background)
- Application fee (payment methods may vary, check with the JPJ office)
- Submit the application: Submit your completed application form along with the required documents to the JPJ counter. Make sure to double-check all the documents before submission.
- Processing time: The processing time for an international driving license in Malaysia is usually within 1-2 working days.
- Collect your international driving license: Return to the JPJ office on the designated date to collect your international driving license. Bring your original identification card (IC)/passport for verification purposes.
Note: It is important to note that an international driving license in Malaysia is valid for one year from the date of issuance. If you plan to stay abroad for an extended period, you may need to check the driving regulations of the specific country you are visiting to determine if an international driving license is required.
It is always best for you to contact the JPJ office or visit their official website for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the application process. For more information, please visit https://www.jpj.gov.my.
Can I apply international driving license online Malaysia?
No, you cannot apply international driving license online. To apply for an international driving license in Malaysia, you can only do so at the JPJ State and Branch Office.
For further details and information about the process, it is recommended to visit the official portal of the Road Transport Department (JPJ) – Vocational Driving License. This international driving license enables Malaysian drivers to drive in foreign countries.
How much is international license Malaysia?
The cost of an international driving license in Malaysia is approximately RM150.
Which countries accept Malaysian driving license?
The countries that accept Malaysian driving licenses vary. Some common countries that accept Malaysian driving licenses include:
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United Arab Emirates
It is important to note that driving license acceptance can vary, so it is advisable to check with the embassy or relevant authorities of the country you plan to visit or drive in.
What are the tips for driving overseas?
After applying and successfully getting an international driving license in Malaysia, here are some tips for driving overseas:
- International Driving Permit: Always carry your International Driving Permit (IDP) along with your Malaysian driver’s license. The IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information.
- Research Driving Laws: Whatever country you’re visiting may have different driving laws than what you’re used to in Malaysia. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the local rules of the road.
- Know The Side: In different countries, people drive on different sides of the road. For example, in Malaysia, you drive on the left side of the road but in countries like USA, people drive on the right side.
- Understand Road Signs: Road signs might be different from those in Malaysia. It’s important to understand them to avoid any confusion while driving.
- Consider the Weather: If you’re driving in a country with the weather you’re not used to (like snow or heavy rain), please ensure you know how to handle it.
- Insurance: Check if your car insurance covers international travel. If not, you may need to buy additional insurance.
- Rental Car: If you’re renting a car, make sure you completely understand the rental agreement. Check the car for any existing damage before you drive away, to avoid being charged for it later.
- Navigation: Make sure you have a reliable GPS or map. It’s easy to get lost in a foreign country.
- Emergency Numbers: Keep a list of emergency numbers for the country you’re in, including the number for the Malaysian embassy.
- Language: Learn a few key phrases in the local language, such as “I need help,” “Where is the nearest petrol station?” etc.
- Stay Calm: Driving in a new country can be stressful. Stay calm, take your time, and don’t rush.
- Respect Local Customs: Some countries have unique customs related to driving. For example, in some places, honking is considered rude. Make sure you’re aware of these before you hit the road.
- Always wear your seatbelt and ensure all traffic laws are followed.
We hope that this article about how to apply international driving license in Malaysia is useful to you. Safe driving!